Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Scratching an Itch

I'm almost to the point where I can make the floor boards.  They're going to be made out of poplar and shiplapped.  On my tool cabinet I just beveled the mating edges, but for this project I wanted to try adding a bead.

I've been looking at buying a beading tool for awhile and read a dozen or so articles about how to make my own and since Lee Valley isn't offering a free shipping event right now and I have to wait for more wood to be delivered I figured I might as well give it a shot.

It only took me two nights.  I bought a couple chainsaw files and a big pair of snips and cut a rectangle off the end of an old handsaw blade.  I polished that bit of metal on my sharpening stones to a mirror and cut the half-circles in a few seconds.  I need slip stones to hone the curvy parts but even with my rough attempt with rolled up sandpaper it does a pretty nice job.  :-)

This is based on the one Garrett Hack used in his video.

I tapped 1/4" screw threads into the block of wood to pinch the blade in place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment