Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Lumber Arrives

I needed to order more wood for the bench lid, and since I was going to have to pay for shipping anyway I figured I might as well order wood for the next project, too.  This way it will have plenty of time to acclimate to my shop.
Another order from Zach at Dunham Hardwoods in Dunlap, Iowa.  Not a single check in any board.  Awesome!

I spent the first half of the day cutting stickers so that I could stack the boards properly.

I gave up on resawing for a bookmatched bench lid.  Instead I'm just going to use 5/4 stock from the same board (plus a thin filler in the middle) and breadboard ends to make sure it stays flat forever.

Before I can work on the breadboard ends I need to make the panel flat.  My planer is only 13" wide, so I had to do this by hand.  I don't think I'm doing it right, though, as it took me 4 hours.  Maybe I need to take heavier cuts.

It was at hour #2 that I realized that my bench isn't flat anymore. Ugg!



No comments:

Post a Comment