Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Don't Drop Your Drawers

A drawer opening stop is a small device that prevents you from pulling a drawer out all the way and dumping the contents on the floor, or worse yet, dropping the drawer I worked so hard to make for you.  Be careful!  Geez!

My first solution to this problem was ridiculously over complicated.  This is a bad habit of mine.  I took a long look at my Sketchup model.  It finally dawned on me that I designed something in 3D that, if it should ever break, can never be repaired.

Wrong!
In this design, there is a small mortise on the underside of each web frame front rail.  A little wafer is screwed into place so that it dangles down and blocks the inside face of the back wall of the drawer as it is pulled out of the carcass.  If you want to fully remove a drawer, you simply flip this little wafer up into the mortise and extract the drawer.  Sounds good, right?

The problem comes in where in order to mount this turn button, you have to drill a hole from the inside edge of the web frame front rail before you assemble it.  What if that little guy snaps off?  How the hell are you gonna attach a new one?  You aren't!

So I did some searching to see if I could find a smarter / simpler solution.  I found this article.  And have chosen the bottom center graphic (labeled #5) where I'm screwing a turn button to the underside of the web frame front rail.  Turn this block 90 degrees and it slips through an equally sized notch cut into the top of the back of the drawer.  Simple, repairable, unobtrusive.  

Turn Buttons mounted to underside of web frame
Turn Buttons turned 90 degrees to slip through notches in the backs of the drawers.
I don't love the idea of notching the backs of what I hope to be the finest drawers ever built, but I can't think up a better solution at this point.  I've got a ways to go before making drawer parts so if anyone wants to chime in with a new approach, feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment