Monday, July 14, 2014

How to Fix a Snapped Screwhead or Stripped Screwhole

I am the king of fixing broken screws.  I do it on every project now.  I pre-drilled holes for all of these little brass hooks and of course, the very last hook snaps off.  %&#@!


Take a drill bit and drill out as much metal as you can.  Put some glue on the end of a toothpick and shove it in there.


Wait an hour or so for the glue to dry and then chisel it flush.  Now you can drill in the same spot.... only this time, use a bigger drill bit.  Apparently the hole was too tight the first time.  Brass is soft, as is cheap hardware.  It can't really handle too much torque.  This is why I usually pre-screw any holes which will eventually have brass screws with harder metal zinc screws.  The harder metal pushes the wood out of the way, clearing a nice path for the brass to follow.  Even so, I'll put some paraffin wax on the brass screw threads before attempting it, just as an added insurance.  Brass is fussy.


All better.  Crisis averted.


Several hours go by, it's well into the evening hours.  I have 1 last drawer to put in place and the dresser is 100% done.  I'm so excited.... So of course another screw decides to strip out of its hole.  Sigh.  I'm lucky I own a 90 degree screwdriver.


No comments:

Post a Comment