Friday, June 17, 2016

Moxon Vise Support Block

My shop is in disarray until I can offload 600+ board feet of clear white pine that's monopolizing all of my space, so I've been using this time to plan a few different projects.  This time I'm working on my Moxon Vise.  I've already got the Benchrafted hardware and the hard rock maple, I just need time and a plan (...and space to work).

I'm enamored with the benchtop Moxons I've seen, especially Derek Jones' versions, but I have to be realistic.  I don't have much shop space and I'd like to be able to hang the vise up to get it out of my way when I'm not using it.

I'm also a fan of simplicity.  Christopher Schwarz just uses a piece of scrap.  To date I've been using my Jack Plane as the support, but that won't work with a vise that elevates the work 8-1/4" above my workbench top.

My only problem with Schwarz's piece of scrap is that it looks like scrap and can be easily lost.  Cutting another piece of scrap to the necessary length is an easy affair - scrap is always available.  But I'd rather keep all the necessary components of the vise together when it's not in use. A place for everything and everything in its place.

So with that in mind, I came up with this option.

The support block serves double-duty as the "flush" elevation block to position the vertical board.  Clamp the vertical board, reposition the block, position the horizontal board.  Done.

The dovetailed slot in the stabilizer gives it a place to live where it's unlikely to get misplaced by the Workshop Gremlins.

I'm also going to add springs and maybe some knobs like David Barron did.

No comments:

Post a Comment