Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cheval Mirror



A wedding gift for Brandi...

I told Brandi that I wanted to make her something for her wedding present and she got to pick. She said her father had a dressing mirror her whole life and that she always wanted one of her own. We looked through a few different styles and she picked the one made by Stickley - which worked out well for me as that's the one I wanted to make anyway.

I took my time on this one. I had to. Those storage coffee tables were painful and arduous. I really like how this mirror turned out and it helps that I have fond memories of the gradual way it came together.

Which isn't to say that there weren't a few hiccups along the way. The angled mortises were tricky. My first attempt to drill an angled mortise in one of the legs resulted in the hollow chisel blowing straight through the outer face of the leg. Luckily I had extra wood.

If I could do it over again, I'd pick a thinner bevel on the mirror. I wasn't sure how it would look when I ordered it, and in hindsight, it could've been a little less pronounced. No big deal though.

No comments:

Post a Comment