Saturday, September 14, 2013

Arts & Crafts Entry Bench & Mirror Project (Complete!)


Finally!

After 1 month of planning and 9 months of construction (with 3 months of interruptions), here are the results.  This project involved several firsts for me, so here's the rap sheet.
  • First grain selection & planning from the beginning
  • First resawing and experience with case hardening problems
  • First bookmatched panels
  • First handcut inlays
  • First quadrilinear legs
  • First corbels
  • First handcut tongue & groove joints
  • First handcut bevels
  • First clocked screwheads
  • Best handcut dovetails so far
  • Flattest handplaned panel so far
  • First DIY Scratch Beader
  • First scratch beads
  • First removal of breadboard ends
  • First mistake with lid supports
  • First screw hole repairs
  • First use of aniline dye finishing approach
As it has required so much planning, effort, thought, and problem-solving to pull these two objects from my mind and force them into reality, I consider this to be my finest work to date.  Here are the long-awaited pictures of the finishes pieces.






I'm going to take a good rest before starting my next project. This one took a lot out of me, but I'm very happy with the end result.  Thanks for following along.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment