Sunday, December 31, 2017

Arts & Crafts Bookshelves - Complete!

This project was a wedding gift for my sister-in-law and her husband.  They got married in July, but I've been busy juggling the house project at the same time, so let's just call it better late than never.

This was my first keyed tenon.  I had to make a 7° angle jig for a plunge router, which only served to remind me how much I dislike using routers.  If I felt confident, or healthy enough (I've been sick pretty consistently since Thanksgiving with my seasonal allergies), I may have attempted it by hand, but I just didn't have the energy and needed the project done. 

The joints turned out nice and I was super impressed with how tightly that wedge can pull those shelves against the sides -- enough to dent the wood slightly.  I'll have to find a use for this joint again.  I like it.

She chose Stickley's Onondaga finish.  Hmm... not sure what else to say about this project.

So here are the photos.




2 comments:

brady said...

Hey man, as always, your Arts & Crafts game is strong! I pop in from now an then to check on your projects and I am super excited to see your Timberframe house project! I have always wanted to build my own timberframe house and will follow happily! BTW, the hand tool olny jewelry chest has been on a long hold since the start of my house renovation and adding another child, but I hope to finish it soon!

I don't know where you are located, but if it is close and you need an extra hand with the frame-raising.....

Brady from KirkwoodWorking

Steve Erwin said...

Thanks, Brady. The house project begins end of March / early April, and the bank says it has to be done by mid-November (or else!). So that's the timeline. Now I just have to figure out how to make it happen.

Congrats on the new addition to the family. I know first hand how life can pull you away from the shop, but enjoy the early moments while you can. They fly by. I've got a 5yo and an almost 2yo, and I'm gonna be sad to see my younger one stop being so little.

If you want to make the trip out to central NY you're welcome to. :) Short of that, my wife bought me a DJI Spark so I can document the entire project in video form, from the sky. So there should be something interesting to watch as things progress, and we're thinking of putting together a video at the end that ties it all together a la Birth of a Wooden House.

Post a Comment